Disadvantages of concrete roads:
- Concrete cement costs much more compare to bitumen. Saving the projects from the extra costs is one of the most critical elements to consider for the road builders. Sometimes to stop the concrete from drying too early, select chemicals need to be added or wet cloth like a cover.
- Crack and wrap:
- Different weather conditions concrete is bound to crack and wrap more than bitumen. If the laid concrete dries earlier than expected, then it will begin to break, so it is a very sensitive method that requires a lot of attention and skill to be kept safe.
- To its stiffness, concrete tends to make more noise. Noise, in general, can be harmful to example it can damage the children’s brain and reduce their intelligence.
- With concrete noise pollution is unavoidable.
- Difficult to install :
- It is a high technology product it requires a lot of skills and hard work to lay them, so not every labor can do the job. Paying for skilled workers comes with more expenses; thus, concrete becomes a more expensive option.
- Less resilience:
- Is stiffer than bitumen, so it becomes less resilience than bitumen. The more resilient the road is, the more noise it will make and also the more slippery it gets in wet conditions and under the snow and rain.
- The smoothness of the concrete highly depends on the casting process, so strict supervision and the tight look is needed to install the concrete right.
- Less resilience:
Concrete is stiffer than bitumen so it becomes less resilience than bitumen. The more resilient the road is, the less noise it will make and also the less slippery it gets in wet conditions and under the snow and rain.
So, concrete makes more noise and is slippery.
Also, the smoothness of the concrete highly depends on the casting process so a strict supervision and tight look is needed to install the concrete right in order to to reach the aspired smoothness.
- Requires long time to get thoroughly fixed:
Unlike bitumen when there is a problem in concrete road and they fix it, a long period of time after that is needed for the road to dry.
On the other hand, whenever there is a repair on a bitumen road it is immediately ready to be used after the construction workers leave the road.
- Adding concrete for repair:
Concrete and bitumen have two different ways of being repaired. When there is a problem in concrete they re-line another layer of concrete on top of the old broken one, because of that sometimes the surface of the road grows very high.
Concrete is less convenient to use because they are very arid and dazzling under the day light therefore in long distance drives they become very inconvenient to drive on.